The Middle Years Program (MYP)
The MYP is designed for students in grades 6 to 10; our MYP offerings will be in grades 7 through 10. The MYP provides a framework of learning that encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. The MYP emphasizes intellectual challenge, encouraging students to make connections between their studies in traditional subjects and the real world. It fosters the development of skills for communication, intercultural understanding and global engagement -- essential qualities for young people who are becoming global leaders. Students will be expected to complete courses in the six core areas as 9th (MYP Year 4) and 10th (MYP Year 5) graders. The six core areas are Language & Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals & Societies, Science, Math and Physical & Health Education.
The Middle Years Program
- addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being,
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future,
- ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups,
- requires the study of at least two languages (language of instruction and additional language of choice) to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others,
- empowers students to participate in service within the community, and
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning.
International Baccalaureate. (2015). MYP Programme Brochure. Retrieved from: http://www.ibo.org
Shaker Heights School District. (2017). Academic Planning Guide. Retrieved from: http://www.shaker.org