Course Number/Title: (STW-130) Sales and Marketing
Teacher: Matthew Ottinger
Course Description: Students will learn all aspects of developing a marketing plan. Students will leave the class not only with knowledge of the world of Marketing but with the ability to be knowledgeable consumers and aware of all the marketing that is targeted to people their own age.
Essential Questions: What are the elements of a marketing plan? What are the marketing influences that face young people on a daily basis? How does someone develop a new product and bring it to the marketplace?
Units of study (with corresponding Common Tasks, GEs, Power Standards and/or National Standards that will be assessed):
- Overview of Marketing (Marketing Education Standard I, Levels 2-3)
- Product Development (MES IV A-F, all levels)
- Price (MES V, A-B, all levels)
- Promotion (MES VII A-C, all levels)
- Market Research (MES VIII, Levels 3,4)
- Developing a Marketing Plan (MES X, Levels 2,3)
21st Century Learning Expectations Addressed: Problem Solving, Flexibility and Adaptability, Productivity Initiative Self-Direction, Cross Cultural Skills
Texts and/or materials:
GEs, Power Standards and/or National Standards Addressed:
National Standards for Business Education (NBEA)
Course Assessments (including Common Tasks) and Grading Policy (including a listing of the rubrics used to assess the Common Tasks):
Grades are based on projects done in class that relate to each student’s knowledge on different aspects of Sales/Marketing. Different projects have different point totals relative to the length of each project.
Common Core Standards:
CC:RI.9-12.1, CC:RI.9-12.2, CC:RI.9-12.8, CC: W. 9-12. 1, CC: W. 9-12.2, CC:W.9-12.4, CC:W.9-12.5, CC: W. 9-12. 7, CC: W. 9-12. 8, CC:W.9-12.9, CC:W.9-12.10, CC:L. 9-12. 4, CC:L. 9-12. 5, CC:L. 9-12, CC: SL. 9-12. 4
Sales and Marketing Course Expectations:
· Class time: Monday-Friday 10:10-11:30
- BE ON TIME! Your grade will suffer if you are late. Three unexcused absences will result in detention.
- Everybody is treated with respect. There is to be no swearing in class. Everyone gets listened to. Students should not be doing other class work in class unless finished with all of their work and the rest of the class is still working on the assignment.
- Food and drink are permitted in the classroom but not in the computer lab or when you are working on the computers. I will allow this unless it creates problems. Please clean up afterwards. Being in line for food in the cafeteria and arriving late for class will result in the loss of these privileges. There will be breaks during class to go for food but the first person that is late results in the entire class not taking a break for a week.
- It is expected that every student comes prepared to class with a pen or pencil and something to take notes with or write assignments with.
- Please keep feet off the tables as we eat in here.
- Feel free to ask questions at any time. Not knowing something is not an excuse.
- At the beginning everyone can sit where they would like. I may change this if there are problems.
- Late work will be accepted but at a loss of some of the credit. Once an assignment is two weeks late you will be given a failing grade for the assignment. I will give everyone plenty of class time to get most things done but some work may need to be done as homework (especially if you miss class for some reason). Let me know if there are problems!
- We will use technology with this course. Do not worry if you need to learn some of these skills. We will make time to learn them. Students helping other students is strongly encouraged. Students on inappropriate websites will be given an F for the assignment. If anyone is found on Facebook then they and their partner will receive an F for the current project.
- Class participation is part of your grade so SPEAK UP. Do not be surprised when I call on you. We will be doing class presentations, please see me when and if presenting is a problem for you but remember that this is a marketing class and presenting is part of sales and marketing.
- Everyone will be respectful while a classmate is presenting. If this does not happen then the offending person(s) will receive F’s on their projects.
- Please turn off all cell phones. Keep them out of sight (this includes ipods, mp3s, etc. At this point there will be no earphones used. This may change later in the course.
- Cheating and plagiarism will be explained and NOT tolerated. Assignments involving either cheating and/or plagiarism will be given an automatic F. Phone #382-1039. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.